Polly-O Ricotta Cheese – a subsidiary of Kraft Foods
Congratulations to the winner of our “Best Ricotta Cheese” category: Polly-O brand ricotta cheese.
You may think that anyone can whip up a delectable dish of lasagna simply by following the recipe on the back of a lasagna pasta box. Wrong!
Barilla Lasagne pasta
What those handy directions on the back of dry lasagna pasta don’t tell you is which brand of ricotta to use. Common grocery store ricotta fail to deliver the supreme taste and texture of Polly-O.
Polly-O is creamy and delicious enough to eat right out of the container! Use it for stuffing dates (see recipe below) or filling pasta such as ravioli, and even as a topping for toasted bagels. Create desserts using Polly-O that include cheesecake, cannoli’s (see recipe below), and Tiramasu.
Photo courtesy Kraftrecipes.com
Classic Cannolis Recipe
- 1 container (32 oz.) POLLY-O Original Ricotta Cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 cannolis shells
- Mix ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until blended. Stir in chocolate chips; cover.Refrigerate 30 minutes. Fill shells with cheese mixture. Serve immediately – - or cover and refrigerate until ready to consume.
Tip: Fill cannolis shells by spooning ricotta mixture into pastry bag fitted with wide tip or scoop into a zipped plastic sandwich bag and cut an small opening in one bottom corner with scissors. Pipe into shells.
DATES STUFFED WITH CHEESE & WRAPPED WITH BACON
- 10 Medjool dates
- 3 oz. Polly-O ricotta cheese blended with 3 oz. Gorgonzola cheese
- 10 slices slightly cooked bacon (Jennie-O brand turkey bacon is a tasty alternative to regular bacon)
- Split one side of Medjool date lengthwise and remove pit. Stuff with 1 tsp. Polly-O ricotta cheese and Gorgonzola blend.
- Wrap bacon strip around date and secure with toothpick. Place under oven broiler. Turn once to ensure even cooking and drain well before serving warm.
Find other date recipes at http://www.southfloridagourmet.com/site/whats-cooking/on-food-a-wine/908-oh-how-i-love-my-dates-.html