Make pizza without crust using tomato basil veggie burger and peppers to create a low carb pizza. Uses steamed slices of red and yellow bell peppers as the base. Easy to make, easy to hold, fun to eat!
Prep time: 12 min. Cook Time: 20 min. Set oven to 350°.
You will need:
1.Two Morningstar Farms tomato basil pizza veggie burgers.
2. 3/4 c. Italian blend or Mozzarella shredded cheese.
3.1/2 c. Marinara sauce — preferably low-sugar and low-carb.
4.One red bell pepper and one large yellow bell pepper.
- Rinse bell peppers and slice tops off bell peppers.
- Cut each pepper into quarters, from top to bottom, using the natural curve of the pepper sections as a guide. You are creating edible “boats” to hold the remaining ingredients. Each bell pepper provides four sections. I have used mini-peppers, cleaned and cut into halves, with success).
- Place all 8 bell pepper quarters into a microwaveable bowl, add 2 TB water, cover, and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Remove to a colander.
- Put two tomato basil pizza veggie burgers on a microwave safe plate, cover, and microwave 40 seconds. Flip burgers and cook an additional 20 seconds.
- Cut each tomato basil veggie burger into quarters. Place a single piece of veggie burger into each bell pepper shell.
- Place stuffed peppers on a flat cookie sheet.
- Top tomato basil veggie sections with a dollop of spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of Italian or Mozzarella cheese on top of the spaghetti sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
ALTERNATIVE IDEA: Create a snack with southwestern flair by following all directions but use Morningstar Farms black bean veggie burgers instead. Substitute cheddar for the mozzarella, omit the spaghetti sauce and top with chopped green onions before baking.